Highlighted
Accepted Solution

EFM8 is Here

[ Edited ]

EFM8 is the future of 8-bit computing.
Press Release
EFM8 Page

Busy Bee (EFM8BB) MCUs provide an optimal balance of no-compromise performance, power efficiency and value for cost-sensitive applications.

Sleepy Bee (EFM8SB) MCUs are Silicon Labs’ most energy-friendly 8-bit devices offering industry-leading sleep mode power (50 nA with full memory retention and brown-out detection) and ultra-fast 2 µs wake-up time.

Universal Bee (EFM8UB) MCUs are the industry’s foremost 8-bit USB connectivity solution, with speeds of up to 48 MHz and 8-64 kB flash sizes.

With EFM8 you get an MCU without compromise.

To make EFM8 your microcontroller start with one of six EFM8 Starter Kits priced at $29.99.

Capacitive Sense Library v1.2 is now available

Announcing the new EFM8 Peripheral Driver Library!

Want to make your USB MCU look like a COM Port? Use VCPXpress!

Re: EFM8 is Here

1) Is there any plan to phase-out the C8051?

2) Is there a migration guide from C8051 to this new Family?

MHG

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

hossein wrote:

1) Is there any plan to phase-out the C8051?

2) Is there a migration guide from C8051 to this new Family?

MHG

? EFM8 still has a 8051 core, so the answer to #1 is no.

The EMF8 have (in some cases) better peripherals, so any migration needed is mostly around peripheral setup. eg the BB2/UB1 have FIFOs on UART & SPI, with HW handshake options.

3MBd should be practical with these parts.

I meant, is there any plan to stop production of some C8051Fxxx devices in the future?

If you go to the WWW.Silabs.com and select Products -> MCU you will not see any trace of C8051Fxxx

devices. This could be just a mistake or starting a phase-out process for C8051Fxxx devices.

The migration guide helps those who are familiar with C8051Fxxx devices to quickly switch their new designs to the Bee family.

MHG

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

I meant, is there any plan to stop production of some C8051Fxxx devices in the future?

If you go to the WWW.Silabs.com and select Products -> MCU you will not see any trace of C8051Fxxx

?  When I go to Products MCS, in the middle of the screen is this :

8-bit Microcontrollers

Fast, low-power solutions with fully-integrated analog functionality and peripherals

one more click gives
currently October 2014, but it's sure to tick over to 2015 soon Robot Happy

The migration guide helps those who are familiar with C8051Fxxx devices to quickly switch their new designs to the Bee family. 
I agree a short form table is a good idea & there is also Distributor tables, when they get all this entered properly.

jmg,

The question still stands:

Is there any plan to stop production of some C8051Fxxx devices in the future?

Obviously it can only be answered by Silabs staff.

MHG

tpannell wrote:

Universal Bee (EFM8UB) MCUs are the industry’s foremost 8-bit USB connectivity solution, 

When you talk about a USB device, can you PLEASE mention in the blurbs whether it is capable of High Speed or Full Speed operation? Don't just say "USB" because that's not specific enough.

(NB: all of the other MCU vendors have this problem, too.)

(Also, with a 48 MHz core I doubt it supports High Speed, but you never know.)

[ Edited ]

hossein wrote:

Go here for the official response:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/8-bit-longevity-commitment.aspx

We have no plans to stop production of any C8051Fxxx devices in the near future.

Best regards,

Brent

[ Edited ]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback!  The EFM8UB devices are indeed full-speed USB.

~Tabi

Tabitha Parker
Senior Manager of MCU and Micrium Applications
Silicon Laboratories

Brent,

Thank you.

Regards,

MHG

unfortunately I can't say SILabs is wrong. It seems that the documentation is organized based on a principle "decision makers do not read datasheets".

However I would be nice if you could make it as bit easier for those of us that actually o.

I have tried through several avenues to find a datasheet for the UB with no success.

erik

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik,

I'll provide this feedback to our web team.  To find the data sheet on the website as it is today:

Go to Products > Microcontrollers > 8-bit Microcontrollers > scroll to the bottom of the table and click Universal Bee > View Documentation at the top > download the data sheets.

Alternatively: Products > Microcontrollers > USB Integration (on the right) > click the Universal Bee title in the table > View Documentation at the top > download the data sheets.

You can also search for Universal Bee to get there faster (second and third links).

~Tabi

Tabitha Parker
Silicon Laboratories

the ignorance of this issue also show in the fact that the devkit "brochure" does not include a datasheet link.

erik

the ignorance of this issue also show in the fact that the devkit "brochure" does not include a datasheet link.

Another way to get-data-fast, is to drop EFM8UB1 into Digikey's search engine, then you get a table summary, and right click save-as on the Data sheet link

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/EFM8UB1_DataSheet.pdf

However, what you probably really want is now called a Reference Manual  Robot Happy

http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/TechnicalDocs/EFM8UB1-RM.pdf

After a nudge, Digikey have now filled out the EMF8 fields, so a Search for Embedded Microcontrollers - Silabs - 16-SOIC now properly finds new EFM8 too

I agree, searching SILabs is better done through DigiKey, I have done it extensively, how could I forget in this case to do so.

Anyhow it is sad that SILabs can't get the searching togther

erik

Hi,

glad to hear about a new 8-bit family. I'll have to check the reference manuals to see if there are real improvements or if it's a redesigned package marking. From what I can see at the first look it seems that at least some peripherals are improved Robot Happy

@SiLabs: 

The new family might be a good starting point to do a 'reset' of the current documentation philosophy. Please add revision/version numbers to the datasheets/reference manuals/application notes and software tools file names.

If you want to make it really convenient, maybe you want provide some sort of device or family documentation/tool packages, e.g. a ZIP file for a USB device with datasheet/reference manual and application notes/software. If I'm correct the new Studio installations already include a big part of documentation, but I think it would be nice to have dedicated packages.

Regards,

Scotty

glad to hear about a new 8-bit family. I'll have to check the reference manuals to see if there are real improvements or if it's a redesigned package marking. From what I can see at the first look it seems that at least some peripherals are improved Robot Happy

It's a bit of both, but even on the parts where the Data changes little, the EFM8 Price is much lower Robot Happy

(eg C8051F850 is similar to EFM8BB1, but BB1 has fewer part codes and a much lower price.)

The BB2/UB1 have significant changes, and gain 4 level interrupt Priorities, FIFOs on many peripherals, more capture choices, and GAPless SPI (for some examples).

Stupid Forum edit timer is really short... Robot Sad

I'll add to the less part codes line above  :

* Silabs seem to have removed the ADC-less codes, which makes good sense

However, their streamlining may have over-shot, as I believe they need a SO16N 2K BB1

(& maybe QSOP24?)

Not all production flows can use QFN20, & SO16N is the easiest to apply package & can be wave soldered.

Adding SO16N @ 2K would cover the IO expander and ADC-peripheral markets in 2 packages,one 'very small' and one 'easy to use'

From "efm8-selector-guide.pdf" I gather the information "Minimum 10-year life cycle" ...

so that means 2025. Is that right?

But an addition to the information here (http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/8-bit-longevity-commitment.aspx ) would be necessary.

Hello guys, when will you update the Ultra Librarian files for the new family?

comments on the UB2 reference manual

these are commonents from perusing the RM

1) it puzzles me that the UB1 is rated 50Mhz and the UB2 48MHz is it not the same core?

2) there are references to the "standard 8051" since there has not been one such for ages should that not be the "traditional 8051" just a subjective opinion

3)

0x0 DIVIDED_

HFOSC_DIV_4

Clock (SYSCLK) derived from the Internal High-Frequency Oscillator / 4 and

scaled per the IFCN bits in register OSCICN.

an in OSCICN e.g.

SYSCLK can be derived from Internal H-F Oscillator divided by 1 (12 MHz).

which had me for a while (12MHz HUH?)

should be (Ill leave it to you to verbalize it better

0x2 SYSCLK_DIV_2 SYSCLK can be derived from Internal H-F Oscillator divided by 4, then divided by 2 (6 MHz).

erik

Re: comments on the UB2 reference manual

erikm wrote:

these are commonents from perusing the RM

1) it puzzles me that the UB1 is rated 50Mhz and the UB2 48MHz...

The 50MHz/48MHz is mostly academic on a USB device, as the UB1 is calibrated to 48MHz

However, if you really wanted to buy a UB1, and not use USB, and run it at 50MHz, you could....

1) it puzzles me that the UB1 is rated 50Mhz and the UB2 48MHz is it not the same core? 

Actually no, not quite.

The UB1 (and  related BB2 variant), use a newer core than UB2 (I think F38x based).

The BB2 is what drives the 50Mhz spec, plus it is a round number... Robot Happy

This newer core has 4 levels of interrupt priority, and faster CPU execution with prefetch=off

The peripherals are also different, with UB1/BB2 having more advanced peripherals.

The UB1 (and  related BB2 variant), use a newer core than UB2 (I think F38x based).

This newer core has 4 levels of interrupt priority, and faster CPU execution with prefetch=off

The peripherals are also different, with UB1/BB2 having more advanced peripherals.

So I (and others) need be careful. I always buy the heftiest for development and then go for the smallest usable in the same series for production.  Evidently this is not (globally) possible across the board with the EFM series

Should these then not really have been listed as two different series of chips?

erik

[ Edited ]

erikm wrote:

So I (and others) need be careful. I always buy the heftiest for development and then go for the smallest usable in the same series for production.  Evidently this is not (globally) possible across the board with the EFM series

Should these then not really have been listed as two different series of chips?

Good question - they are not quite different enough to be two different series of chips , but the differences are not miniscule either.

You are right however, that assuming the largest/biggest part is a super-set is incorrect.

They are not pin-compatible, so that is less of a risk,

I think if they used a '+' tag, to denote a Peripherals, & Core columns, in the selector guide,  would be enough.

Looking at the USB side, we see this (UB1 in bold/ + tagged)

22.2  Features [EFM8UB1+ & EFM8UB2]
The USB0 module includes the following features:
•  Full and Low Speed functionality.
•  Implements 4 bidirectional endpoints.
•+ Low Energy Mode to reduce active supply current based on bus bandwidth.
•  USB 2.0 compliant USB peripheral support (no host capability).
•  Direct module access to 1 KB of RAM for FIFO memory.
•  Clock recovery to meet USB clocking requirements with no external components.
•+ Charger detection circuitry with automatic detection of SDP, CDP, and DCP interfaces.
•+ D+ and D- can be routed to ADC input to support ACM and proprietary charger architectures.
•+ 8 kV ESD protection.

You are right however, that assuming the largest/biggest part is a super-set is incorrect.

a very likely GOTCHA

They are not pin-compatible, so that is less of a risk,

never an issue, the first spin with the most capable chip is just a quick proto

erik

a very likely GOTCHA

Same thing for me, my assumption lead to ordering the wrong devboard *sigh*

Regards,

Scotty

Hello!

Thank you for updating http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/8-bit-longevity-commitment.aspx .

Question:

I use the stand-alone "Flash-programming-tool" and the "Coniguration Wizard2" for assembler programming on the F850, and now i migrate for a new project to the (mostly identical) EFM8BB1.

(Actually I make my first steps on the evaluation board SLSTK2020A.)

Are regarding software updates planned?

F850,

for unrelated issues, start a new thread, PLEASE

erik

[ Edited ]

F850,

for unrelated issues, start a new thread, PLEASE

The F850 is not as 'unrelated' as you might think to BB1 (look at the data) Robot Happy

The question was also related to EFM8 support, for someone using present F850 tool flows, which I think is very EFM8 relevant.

eg  the implied questions I see here are

Q1: When will the existing stand-alone "Flash-programming-tool" support EFM8(BB1) ? (anyone?)

Q2: When will "Coniguration Wizard2" support asm-flow BB1 ?

I can partially answer Q2 - The new SS.Configurator is the BB1 config path, but no, that does not currently support Assembly create.

However there is a roundabout way to get ASM config from SS that I have asked SiLabs to streamline.

a) Manually add line

#pragma src
into Initdevice.c

b) use the Keil build after finish of SS.Configurator. (it already creates a dummy/test main, so this is easy)

This creates a commented  ASM listing, .SRC in the source directory.

Cut/paste from that, the ASM lines you need.

or, you can continue to use F850 Config2 flows, as to me the SFRs have the same address & bits, just some minor re-name changes.

Q1.  What is so different about some of the C8051Fxxx series controllers that they have not been inlcuded in the Simplicity Studio/

In any case as far as I can tell by the nodding acquaintance I have with Simplicity Studio, one can twist a few start-up file to work with say C8051F120. (my fav)

It almost feels like SS has a stepmother's attitude towards some u-Controllers.

Q2.  Will the neglected controllers be included in a future release?

Thehillbilly wrote:

Q1.  What is so different about some of the C8051Fxxx series controllers that they have not been inlcuded in the Simplicity Studio/

In any case as far as I can tell by the nodding acquaintance I have with Simplicity Studio, one can twist a few start-up file to work with say C8051F120. (my fav)

It's not the compiler, it's the debugger. Compiler support is little more than a correct header file for the peripheral register definitions and the correct parameters for RAM and flash sizes. But for debug, the tools need to know the details of the various peripherals.

Q2.  Will the neglected controllers be included in a future release?

One hopes, and we are told that they plan to do so.

Hi all,

Yes, we definitely plan to do so!  I'm currently researching if we can do this faster in beta releases versus official releases, which do take us longer, since I know there are people who want to use the 'F5xx or 'F12x devices with Simplicity Studio.  I hope to have an answer to this soon, so stay tuned!

~Tabi

Tabitha Parker
Silicon Laboratories

I've had some problems using the EFM8 peripheral drivers with an EFM8B10F2G. Meanwhile I've found the source of problems and I'd like to share my solution / make a suggestion for improvement:

So it would be nice, if the driver implements some logic for devices without an XRAM (like the xxx2G part). As a quick solution an compiler error message which references to the use of XRAM in the drivers would be enough. Even better: an controller independently driver which always selects the correct RAM (I or X).

Maybe even an explicit mention of the "missing" XRAM on xxx2G part in the datasheet would be nice - would have saved me a lot of time.

If a device has no XRAM (either internal or possibly external) then the linker script could (should?) indicate that and linkage will fail if it is used anyway. In general always specify the size of code, idata & xdata to the linker.

Is it possible to compile the EFM8 on the "old" IDE?  Is there a preferred C8051 device to start with?  It was mentioned above that just swapping the register H file is sufficient for compile and download.

I am reluctant to change to the Simplicity Studio and a new processor at the same time at this time.

Thanks.

Dan

[ Edited ]

DanLaz wrote:

Is it possible to compile the EFM8 on the "old" IDE?

Given that Simplicity Studio has Keil under the hood, you should be able to use either the (free from SiLabs) Keil uVision 4 tools, or with the proper header file and memory layout, use the "old" IDE, which basically you had to configure to call the Keil tools anyway.

Or you could just do command-line/Makefile, if that's your thing.

Is there a preferred C8051 device to start with?

That's a very vague question. It really depends on your peripheral and processing-speed needs. If you need a lot of XRAM and flash, then the F120 series is your choice. If you want something very simple, the F850 series is a good choice. I use the F314 as a jellybean part too.

It was mentioned above that just swapping the register H file is sufficient for compile and download. 

Choosing the correct header file, for the peripheral definition, is necessary, as is understanding the memory layout (how much flash, XDATA RAM, etc). Then Keil will work as always.

For download, you can use the standalone Flash Programmer tool.

Debug is a different issue. I do not know if the old IDE supports the new EFM8 parts. (I'm sure someone less lazy than I will look that up and post.) If it does not, and you want to use those parts, then you need Simplicity Studio.

I am reluctant to change to the Simplicity Studio and a new processor at the same time at this time.

Understandable, but Simplicity Studio is rather easier to use than the old IDE, although you'll probably wrestle with Eclipse (the underlying IDE platform) until you grok its fullness.

"until you grok its fullness."

I'm old enough to know this reference!

Thanks for the pointers.

Does anyone have an EZRadio project (Si4x55) for the EFM8 under Simplicity Studio?

Alternately, does anyone know if the Simplicity Configuator can write driver functions for the various peripherals (eg SPI) similar to the output from the WDS?  I tried it, but only got empty files.

I'm trying to avoid a massive cut&paste merge, but that may be what I need to do.

TIA!

Dan

[ Edited ]

Sorry to be nagging about this, but Simplicity is not making sense.

My scenario:

• EFM8 Sleepy Bee
  • Using Configurator in Simplicity Studio
  • Project includes EMF8 SDK
  • Creates InitDevice.c/h
  • InitDevice does not reference the functions available in the SDK.
  • The H files from the SDK are not linked.  I don't know yet whether the compiled code is linked.

I'm still working through it, mainly copying the SDK code into my working code - bad!

Any suggestions would be helpful.  Note that my WDS projects with the earlier IDE worked pretty well.

Check if the Configurator added the bsp files in the lib folder for you already.  (see attached for location)

You can set the project properties to include the BSP driver manually.  See attached.  Do watch out as Configurator seems not to like these kind of things set behind its back and you'll have a fight of it disabling your library every time Configurator generates code.

According to mu observation the EFM8 still has a 8051 core so for your first question i want to say No. The EMF8 have better peripherals, so any migration needed is mostly around peripheral setup. For Example the BB2/UB1 have FIFOs on UART & SPI, with HW handshake options. 3MBd should be practical with these parts.

[ Edited ]

According to mu observation the EFM8 still has a 8051 core so for your first question i want to say No. Some of The EMF8 have better peripherals.

some of the EMF8's are, very likely, rebranded 8051fxx'es, if not they could be.

BTW why reply to a 5 month old post

erik

Hi tpanell

I am choosing C8051F32x MCU for prototyping, but the distributor suggest us EFM8UB2 series one 'cause cost and power efficient. I am good with that. But could you pls let me know if EFM8UB2 can be compiled by Keil C? I got this concern from S/W staff, who says no list on the compiler. Otherwise, please advise. Thanks in advance.

Sam

I am choosing C8051F32x MCU for prototyping, but the distributor suggest us EFM8UB2 series one 'cause cost and power efficient. I am good with that. But could you pls let me know if EFM8UB2 can be compiled by Keil C? I got this concern from S/W staff, who says no list on the compiler.

If you have an EFM8UB2 development Board (SLSTK2001A) and Simplicity Studio installed, you have everything you need to compile and run Keil C.

Simplicity Studio install includes the header files for EFM8xx that Keil uses.

No problem. Keil C51 can compile EFM8 MCU's project without any problem. You can debug it with Simplicity Studio. The Keil C51 is included in Simplicity Studio and it is free to use. The Simplicity Studio will be update to support the new MCU when every time a new EFM8 MCU is released.

Regards,

Shaolin