Accepted Solution

Cause of Flash Error Reset

Hello, All!

I've been working with C8051F MCU since about 2000, but the first time I encountered this phenomenon!

Therefore, I want to ask the respected community of experts, whether they have encountered similar problems and what could be their reason?!!

The phenomenon is observed on the C8051F340. About a month ago, the HW was written and successfully worked in the debugging process. Programming and debugging of board passed normally without any surprises. On the other board there are 3 buttons (except for power amplifiers outputs and optocouplers inputs). Each of buttons is pulled up through a resistor 5K1 to +5V and shunted by a capacitor to the ground! 

The problem arose after replacing this second board!

The controller board is still programmable and runs without problems!

However, after 5-10 clicks on one of the randomly selected buttons, the MС freezes and after a few seconds there is a reboot with the error "Flash Error". 

The supply voltage +5V is OK! Noises and pulsations on power supply - no more than 3mV.

No input signals are received to the board - the connectors are disconnected!

I will repeat! The program remained the same (which previously worked fine)!

Replacing the microcontroller with a new one did not give anything - the problem remained!

Can someone tell me the reason?

Regards
Oleg Nicolaiciuc

Re: Cause of Flash Error Reset

Based on the datasheet, there are several cases that may cause a Flash error reset.

• A Flash write/erase/read target an illegal address, above user code space, including Reserved area.
  • Accessing locked pages from program executing on an unlocked page.
  • VDD monitor is not enabled during Flash write/erase.

Not sure if the Lock Byte is used in your application or not, if so, recommend checking the Flash security  options and lock byte setting.

Hello!

Thanks for the answer!

But the reason I just found! So the problem is solved!
The reason was as follows:
The developers of the power subsystem have made some miscalculation!

After DC-DC, from input voltages into +5V they installed a large electrolytic capacitors  and a serial choke 220mH, and then again large electrolytic capacitors.

After several pressing of the buttons at the time of release it, on the power supply due to a rather large choke, narrow pulses (about 1 ms) were generated, which were superimposed on the + 5V supply.

At the same time, the total amplitude was about +5.6V, which actually caused Flash reading errors.

After reducing the value of the chokes to 220uH, all began to work like a clock!

The problem has disappeared!

Here's an unusual case!

Regards
Oleg Nicolaiciuc

electrolytic, not tantalum and a choke

have not seen that for ages what is the reason?

erik
Highlighted

Yeah!
That's how it worked, "experts"! Uff!

Regards
Oleg Nicolaiciuc