Accepted Solution

C8051F568: "Detected un-supported target revision"

I have been working with the C8051F568 on a custom board, and have gotten this message today.

I know that this board is supported, and that I successfully programmed it earlier today using the same environment. The board has not had any modifications since the last time I programmed it.

After a power cycle of everything (adapter included), and I attempt to connect, the yellow Power led will turn on, but the Run/Stop led will stay off.

Is there a potential fix for this? What other steps can I take to correct this?

Steps I've tried:

1. Reset the firmware on the adapter.

2. Power cycle the system.

3. Open/Reopen the IDE.

4. Rebuild the project.

5. Attempting to erase the program/Connect through the Flash utility.

Other info:

* Silicon Labs IDE (classic, not Simplicity Studio)

* Programming through the Silicon Labs USB Debug Adapter

* IDE Version: 5.18.00 (taken from IDE)

* Programming DLL Version: 4.74.00 (taken from Flash utility)

* USBHID DLL Version: 1.9.1.0 (taken from Flash utility)

Re: C8051F568: "Detected un-supported target revision"

Hi Ryan,

Do you have another board, such as a dev kit that you can use to verify that the software and debug adapter are working correctly?  Do you have a 1k Ohm pull up resistor on the reset pin (C2CK), and no capacitors?  Does your code have any flash write/erase routines that could have corrupted memory on the device?

Regards,

Joe

I have C8051F930-TB development kit with the same problem - "unsupported target revision".

I put the C8051 to sleep for testing in the latter stages of development for a battery powered application and can't wake it up. By design it sleeps, wakes up on a RTC interrupt, measures, transmits and goes back to sleep.  I receive the measurement data and it is correct, so I know the application is running OK.

I have tried to connect from the SiLabs IDE and get the "unsupported target revision"  message.  I suspect that the debug adapter can't get the necessary response from the C8051in my situation because it is asleep and isn't awake long enough to respond to the IDE.

I have tried to erase flash with the flash programmer - this generates a message "Erase could not be performed" -  but the C8051 application stops running.  Cycling power or pushing the reset button starts the program, so the memory has not been modified.

Maybe there are clues in this post that someone can help.

Dave Chanoux

I have found that the following procedure corrects the issue, although it doesn't explain why this occasionally happens:

Power down target board/chip. Unplug the USB connection to the debugger. Close out of the IDE

Power up target board/chip. Re-plug the USB connection to the debugger. Re-open the IDE.

When I initially power-cycled the system, I neglected to unplug the USB adapter, which would still be receiving power through USB.

Hey Dave, Your issue is different from Ryan's. Does your code on the F930 put the device to sleep immediately on startup? What's likely happening is that the debug adapter is trying to reset the device before connecting to it and the device is going to sleep before the debug adapter can connect to it. Do you have a pull-up on the RST line and proper decoupling on the VDD lines? How are you connecting the debug adapter to the device? Are there long cables involved? These are all things that could inhibit debug connections.

For future devices, I recommend adding a delay before going to sleep from startup or adding some sort of pin related trap that stops the device from going to sleep so that you can connect to it.

Thanks Alan and Ryan,

My fix isn't technical - I bought a new C8051F930-TB target board from Mouser Electronics and got it working (without sleep mode).  I have to keep this project moving.

I learned good lessons about how the debugger and sleep mode work.  You are probably right about going into sleep mode too fast.  My code does some initialization of clock, timer, Uart, ADC, Smartclock, makes 1 conversion, goes to sleep.  It wakes up periodically at 1 second intervals for another measurement, calculates, sends about 10 bytes at 115200 baud and goes back to sleep. To answer your questions:  the schematic for the Target Board shows a 1 K pullup resistor to VDD and a .1 uF cap to ground along with other resistors to isolate the C2 programming pins.  The USB cables came with the original development kit and are longer than needed.

When I have more time, I will look into salvaging the original target board with some of the comments that I have gotten here.

Thank you

Dave Chanoux

Scanning Devices Inc.

To address more of the original question, this was replicated on a development board with the same issue.

I later found out that the Flash utility was able to flash directly to the board without the IDE, which confirmed that the cable and debugger module were not the cause of the connection issues.

I was scratching my head until a colleague went and lowered the C2 Clock strobe time to the lowest setting. After that, it didn't seem to have any problems connecting, on either the dev board or the custom board.

I don't know how this C2 clock strobe time affects the connection and debugging process. While it seems like my issue was solved, I would like to know more about why this seems to have an impact on the ability to connect. I've reviewed AN127, but I'm not seeing why this value could break the ability to connect and debug.

I suggest to remove the 0.1uF on the C2 interface lines.

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Hero</font></font> </a> jmg

RyanG wrote:

To address more of the original question, this was replicated on a development board with the same issue.....

I don't know how this C2 clock strobe time affects the connection and debugging process. While it seems like my issue was solved, I would like to know more about why this seems to have an impact on the ability to connect. I've reviewed AN127, but I'm not seeing why this value could break the ability to connect and debug.

If you are talking about the IDLE issue, that makes sense, as a shorter C2CLK will also reduce the total transaction times, and thus give the Debug more chance of winning the race between your code going into idle, and the Debug code getting control.

AN127 has recently quietly inserted another command, I think to help this issue, to halt the core earlier in the handshake. Not sure if that has propagated to all the firmware yet, but I'd guess 'not yet'.