USB to SPI Bridge on 32-Bit MCU

Rookie question here.  New to the 32-bit MCU environment.  

I have a functioning design that uses the CP2130 USB to SPI bridge.  Use of the CP2130 made implementation of USB functionality fairly painless and quick.  My new design is a bit more complicated and I need more I/O (28 plus 4 chip select) than is available on the 2130.  Are there any examples/ reference designs available that implement the USB to SPI bridge functionality of the 2130 on a 32-bit MCU?  I believe either the Leopard or Giant Gecko family will work. Both have USB, USART, and enough I/O to accomplish what I am trying to do.  

Thanks in advance for any info.

TC

Re: USB to SPI Bridge on 32-Bit MCU

Hi @tocreemer,

Are there any examples/ reference designs available that implement the USB to SPI bridge functionality of the 2130 on a 32-bit MCU?

Sorry, we've not done such a design. You'd need both the driver on the PC end and firmware for the MCU, none of which is particularly trivial.

You might be better off with multiple CP2130's connected to a USB hub on your PC. It'd save you from having to deal with a custom driver if your application can handle multiple instances of our existing CP2130 driver.

John

You could also add a shift register to the SPI to implement a GPIO expander.

Hi @tocreemer.

I think @vanmierlo's idea is a good one if you want to stick with something close to what you have right now.

We talked about this in the support stand-up meeting today, and one of the managers suggested that If you can manage some coding on the application side, you could just use the Happy Gecko 322 device as a virtual COM port and send data to it using a UART protocol of your choice.

The EFM32HG322F64 comes in a 48-pin package and would have plenty of I/O to do what you want and maybe even some extra things you hadn't thought of Smiley Very Happy

John