The New Giant Gecko Series 1 is Here!

Hi everyone,

We have just launched our next-generation version of the Giant Gecko MCU, the EFM32GG11. It follows in the footsteps of the original Giant Gecko, by providing a wide range of functionality and high level of performance in a small and extremely energy efficient package. It brings new functionality such as CAN, SDIO, Quad-SPI and Ethernet to the family, as well as all the functionality of the original Giant Gecko, including Segment LCD, backup mode, USB and TFT controller. The MCU has up to 2 MB flash and 512 kB RAM, and runs up to 72 MHz, with current consumption as low as 77 uA/MHz and 1.6 uA in EM2.

The Micrium OS kernel will be provided for free to help jumpstart projects on the EFM32GG11.  Flexible paid license options are available for advanced drivers and stacks such as Ethernet and SDIO, providing a robust production-ready solution.

Note that this is an ‘Engineering Status’ launch. Kits and limited numbers of ICs will be available starting today, with production scheduled to start in Q1 of 2018.

To learn more about the new EFM32 Giant Gecko Series 1, check out the links below:

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/32-bit/efm32-giant-gecko-gg11

http://news.silabs.com/2017-07-24-Feature-Rich-Giant-Gecko-Microcontrollers-Help-Developers-Tackle-C...

-Øivind

Re: The New Giant Gecko Series 1 is Here!

Looks great!

Hoping you get a move on filling out the Series 1 range myself! This one helps a lot but its also no more than a couple more very rough grained configuration options for now. The series is begging for more memory/package/price configurations. We are engineers dammit. Must... optimize... mcu... selection Robot Mad

Very cool!

Regarding "SD/SDIO" peripheral, does this mean eMMC devices (which drop support for the SD SPI mode) are now supported in hardware?

Hi @Drmn4ea,

Regarding "SD/SDIO" peripheral, does this mean eMMC devices (which drop support for the SD SPI mode) are now supported in hardware?

Yes!

John

Finallyyy...

Are there any Ethernet software samples? Could not find them in SDK.

Hi @Slowmo

Slowmo wrote:

Are there any Ethernet software samples? Could not find them in SDK.

There is one Ethernet example available at this point. Check out the 'SLSTK3701A_micriumos_net' demo

-Oivind

Hi @Joku,

We are working on it. Anything specific you are looking for?

-Øivind

There is one Ethernet example available at this point. Check out the 'SLSTK3701A_micriumos_net' demo

So Ethernet is meant to be used in Micrium OS, right? Will there be a software stack to enable Ethernet in regular projects without an OS?

So Ethernet is meant to be used in Micrium OS, right? Will there be a software stack to enable Ethernet in regular projects without an OS?

Software support for Ethernet is currently only provided through Micrium OS. There are multiple reasons for this: By providing it with Micrium OS we can make sure the Ethernet stack will work well with the rest of the system, even if the rest of the system is complex and uses multiple other peripherals, such as USB or SDIO. This ultimately makes it easier to build a robust application which will not fail in the field under load or when hit with special situations.

We also believe most applications built on the EFM32GG11 will be based on an RTOS, in order to help manage complexity

Hi Oivind_L,

The supported Ethernet provided through Micrium OS is also free?

There's plans to support LwIP with Micrium OS?

The Micrium OS kernel will be free as source code or only as lib?

Ari. 

Good point. If Ethernet is only usable through Micrium, I would expect TCP/IP stack to be free as well, otherwise we can not use part of the hardware inside the new MCU.

Hi @Oivind_L

I appreciate that your priority with Series 1 is going to be towards solutions that have less overlap with Series 0, and that I can't expect too much from a relatively new series. But for those of us who want minor features that only exist on Series 1, the range looks awfully rough at this stage.

My major issues are these:

- Lack of any mid or low price point solutions in a non BGA package above 48 pins at this point. I think the limited package options make a lot less sense on Pearl/Jade than they do on the equivalent EFR SoC's when you consider the external RF transceiver case and Pearl/Jade's NC pins. I think QFN64 is sorely missed on Pearl/Jade, and if that isn't going to come then I guess what I'm hoping for is that this new GG11 series gets variants with some of the high end peripherals cut out and number of low end peripherals reduced along with significantly reduced memory configurations, so the low end QFN64 variant reaches a fair way down into the mid range price bracket. 

- Lack of a budget oriented alternative to xG1 given that xG1 carries unique issues. The xG13 or the half-RAM xG12 that both exist in the SoC range would go a significant way to resolving this.

Hi @Joku,

Your requests make sense. We are in fact working on broadening the offering as we speak. Look for more information towards the end of the year. Note that the additions we will be making will be very compatible with the GG11 we just launched, so GG11 is a very good starting point.

-Øivind

Slowmo wrote:

Good point. If Ethernet is only usable through Micrium, I would expect TCP/IP stack to be free as well, otherwise we can not use part of the hardware inside the new MCU.

Can you explain your use-case to me? Are you looking at using the this for a commercial product where you need Ethernet, TCP/IP etc?

Hi @amsantos,

The Network stack provided through Micrium OS is not free. In order to provide the level of quality and support that is required for it, it does come at a cost. There are currently no plans to support LwIP on Micrium OS. The hardware would be capable of it, but we have decided to focus our efforts on delivering one good solution vs delivering multiple half-baked solutions. 

The Micrium OS Kernel is provided as source, and is free to use for Silicon Labs MCUs and Wireless MCUs.

-Øivind

@Oivind_L,

So there is no option to get Ethernet running without stack that needs a license. Then where can I find all the prices for licensed stacks (at least modbus and ethernet)? I'm curious how it will compete with ST and freeRTOS..

Why there is almost no information about all the licenses and policy how they are applied? 

Oivind_L wrote:

Slowmo wrote:

Can you explain your use-case to me? Are you looking at using the this for a commercial product where you need Ethernet, TCP/IP etc?

Yes, it is intended as a commercial product, which collects data from large sensor network and sends it to remote server using REST calls. Built in web server would also be necessary to allow for status monitoring and configuration.

We now have to decide on the chipset to use, and GG11 in conjunction with Micrium OS seems just what we need apart from it being an EFM part not EZR. We could use a Sub-Ghz radio in the same package as well. But given, that there is not much information on pricing of Micrium stacks and modules, it is hard to make GG11 as our first choice right now.

@Slowmo and @agl123,

Prices for these types of components are typically not published online, because they depend on what you need, and the use-case. I would suggest you talk with your Silicon Labs sales rep, or go to the following link to get more information on pricing: https://www.silabs.com/buysample/pages/contact-sales.aspx

Highlighted

@Slowmo and @agl123,

Another option to discuss Micrium pricing is to send an email to sales@micrium.com or call +1 512 464 9401

-Øivind

Hi,

I got the new EFM32GG11 Starter Kit. When I try to use the Hardware Configurator I get an NullPointerException and I cannot configure the device. Is the Starter Kit included in the SDK?

Hi @VerenaP,

The HW Configurator does not yet support the GG11. It is planned for Q4 of this year. You should still not get a null pointer exception though. Can you submit a bug report for that?

-Øivind

We are trying to evaluate the EFM32GG11 Starter Kit. I recently updated Simplicity Studio, but I didn't see any software example projects for the board. When will you have examples? I'm particularly interested in the FreeRTOS example

Thank you.

Hi,

One of our board is using a Cortex-M3 EFM32GG990F1024. Do the new EFM32GG11 pins be the same? We are using a BGA112 package.

Thank you.

I don't think GG11 would pin compatible with GG990F1024 (BGA112). GG11 datasheet only cover BGA192 and BGA100, though there are other package option acocring this page.

And the peripheral route strategy for GG11 was changed a lot. The peripheral type supported changes a lot also.

Even for same QFP100 package, you could see the difference in the pinout section of the datasheet.

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/data-sheets/EFM32GG380.pdf

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/data-sheets/efm32gg11-datasheet.pdf

My views are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Silicon Labs

WeiguoLu

Hi @Ivanoway,

Many more package options are coming for the GG11, including QFP64, QFN64, BGA120 and BGA152, including multiple that will be pin-compatible with the existing Giant Gecko. EFM32GG990F1024 will have a pin-compatible package. These additional packages will become available as we go into full production early next year.

-Øivind

Hi @richdinoso,

Demos are available in Simplicity Studio. Make sure you have updated Studio if you are using an existing installation, and that you have selected the latest SDK. There are currently no FreeRTOS examples in the SDK for the GG11, but there are a number of MicriumOS examples, stretching from blinky to USB and Ethernet.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you still have trouble getting it working

-Øivind

Hello @Oivind_L,

Thank you for the reply. We are more interested in FreeRTOS instead of MicriumOS because of the cost factor. Are there plans to provide FreeRTOS examples in Simplicity Studio in the near future?

Thank you.

Awesome! This is one of the best i've seen from Silicon Labs yet. 

Hello,

plz, I can not compile SLSTK3701A_micriumos_net for AFM32GG11

the folder /net is empty

logs

arm-none-eabi-gcc -g -gdwarf-2 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mthumb -std=c99 '-DDEBUG_EFM=1' '-DRETARGET_VCOM=1' '-DEFM32GG11B820F2048GL192=1' '-DDEBUG=1' -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//app/mcu_example/SLSTK3701A_EFM32GG11/micriumos_net/net/core" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//app/mcu_example/SLSTK3701A_EFM32GG11/micriumos_net/net" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//app/mcu_example/SLSTK3701A_EFM32GG11/micriumos_net/common/common" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/net/source/dns" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/net/source/dhcp" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/net/source/util" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/net/source/tcpip" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/kernel/source/ports/armv7-m/gnu" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/kernel/source/ports/armv7-m/iar" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/kernel/source" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/drivers/net/source" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/cpu/source/ports/interrupt/armv7-m" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/cpu/source/ports/armv7-m/gnu" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/cpu/source/ports/armv7-m/iar" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/cpu/source" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/platform_mgr" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/rtos" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/lib" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/kal" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/common" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/collections" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/clk" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/rtos/common/source/auth" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/bsp/siliconlabs/generic/source" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Ports/CMSIS/IAR" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Ports/CMSIS/GCC" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//util/micrium/Micrium_OS/bsp/siliconlabs/generic/include" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//app/mcu_example/SLSTK3701A_EFM32GG11/micriumos_net/cfg" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//app/mcu_example/SLSTK3701A_EFM32GG11/micriumos_net" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//hardware/kit/SLSTK3701A_EFM32GG11/config" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/CMSIS/Include" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/emlib/inc" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//hardware/kit/common/bsp" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//hardware/kit/common/drivers" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/Device/SiliconLabs/EFM32GG11B/Include" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/middleware/glib" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/middleware/glib/glib" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/middleware/glib/dmd" -I"C:/SiliconLabs/SimplicityStudio/v4/developer/sdks/gecko_sdk_suite/v1.1//platform/middleware/glib/dmd/ssd2119" -O0 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -mno-sched-prolog -fno-builtin -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=softfp -MMD -MP -MF"src/graphics.d" -MT"src/graphics.o" -o "src/graphics.o" "../src/graphics.c"
Finished building: ../src/ex_common_init.c
make: *** [src/ex_net_core.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Finished building: ../src/ex_main.c
Finished building: ../src/ex_network.c

../src/graphics.c:20:37: fatal error: rtos/net/include/net_if.h: No such file or directory
#include <rtos/net/include/net_if.h>
^
compilation terminated.
make: *** [src/graphics.o] Error 1

Hello,

plz, I can not compile  SLSTK3701A_micriumos_net

after checkout the net folder is empty

in includes ../Micrium_OS/rtos/net/source/tcpip does not exist

and in compilation the net.h file can not be found : see attach

Hi,

I'd be very excited to try the new Giant Gecko, but where is the QFN64 version?

The product website says it is available in QFN64, but then the devices list does not contain any actual device with QFN64. What's going on?