Highlighted

Looking for more advanced resources

Hi,

Out of the endless  sea of microcontroller tutorials, books, resources, etc, could someone recommend some "more advanced" sources to learn actual microcontroller applications?

A bit of explanation: Imagine you've already followed all the "recommended tutorials", etc, you perfectly know how to blink a led in 15 different ways, you understand volatile, can generate PWM, can use peripherals via their ISRs, know what the different power modes do, can communicate via spi/uart/i2c - all partly based on examples found with the microcontroller, but all with proper understanding etc.

Where to go from there? It looks like a huge step from the "basics" towards a proper application, no? How to organize the application, how to write drivers for accelerometers/memory/this&that so that they work but don't get in the way. How to communicate with devices that require "special" protocol? 

I'm looking for a book/tutorial/website where the blinking is simply skipped. Also, I'm guessing on a bit higher level of abstraction which I'm looking for the actual microcontroller architecture might be of secondary importance, or am I wrong?

Sure, looking at existing projects might give some insight, but the architectural choices there are often hidden... FOr example the original sources of the Chronos watch are great, but quite difficult to digest without a theoretical primer.

Any help? Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for more advanced resources

I can't help you with your actual query, but I note a contraiction in your post

how to write drivers for ....

a bit higher level of abstraction ...

these two do not jive

erik

I guess from that point on you just have to start working on a real project. You can always come back and ask questions. You can also show the code and get feedback. Opening a community project might be the right way to go.

One thing you probably need to know is how to build state machines in your software. And something like round-robin scheduling.

erikm wrote:

how to write drivers for ....

a bit higher level of abstraction ...

these two do not jive

I disagree. You need one to get to the other.

Precisely my point - I see a peripheral driver as the first step towards a real project.  Or actually, a first step OF a real project Robot Happy

Thanks for understanding...

You can only learn so much about embedded systems and microcontrollers from a book and tutorials.  

After some basic understanding, the only way you really learn is just making something or building something.  Start building toys, gadgets, remote controls, and robots.  Build an LED display panel, then add some wireless controls, then figure out how to add a cap-sense touch panel, a spinning gizmo, and speaker with sound effects.  

What I'm getting at is that you just need to build something to learn how to build these applications.  Start with something easy like blinking then LED, then expand that to an 16x16 LED array, add peripherals, and so on.  

This is what makes embedded so much fun.  You just need to come up with the ideas of what to make.

In college, I used to use sparkfun.com for a lot of my project ideas.  There's many similar places like adafruit and instructables today.