Accepted Solution

EFM32ZG - SPI master mode - CS does not toggle

Hi 

I am using EFM32 Zero Gecko Starter kit (EFM32ZG-STK3200A). I am trying to set up SPI Master mode on USART1 (loc 3) : CLK-PC15, CS-PC14, RX-PD6, TX-PD7, and have set up baudrate as 1Mhz. I am sending single byte using function USART_SpiTransfer(USART1, dataByte). I can see the CLK and TX signals on oscilloscope, they look fine, but the CS stays low - no activitiy at all. I have the following code to send a byte: 

MaxCSLow();
USART_SpiTransfer(USART1, dataByte);
MaxCSHigh();

Before I did not have the two lies - MaxCSLow() and MaxCSHigh(), hoping that the USART1 will automatically handle CS since the CS is tied with USART1, but it did not do anything, so I added these two lines, but still it does not toggle.  My questions:

1. What is going wrong?

2. There is another port pin that I am using - which toggles fine with similar command - MaxRSTLow() and MaxRSTHigh() and also the LED blinks fine. Why can't the CS line toggle? 

3. Is there a way to disassociate CS pin from USART1? i.e. in standard SPI mode, USAR1 has 4 pins - CLK, CS, TX, RX - how can I have USART1 in SPI mode only 3 pins - CLK, TX, RX ? So that I can take any port pin to function as CS independently?

4. I am using Harware Configurator with Simplicity Studio4, I also tried setting DataOutput = 1 in the properties window for CS pin - it does not change the default output on that pin. But it works for other port pin.. not sure why? 

Thanks in advance!

Silas 

Highlighted

Re: EFM32ZG - SPI master mode - CS does not toggle

I assume the USART CS line is not a master output but a slave input. If you want another master to select this MCU as slave then its CS must be selected. I suggest not to enable CS in the USART and use GPIO to select your slave device through this pin.

If you want the USART to handle the chip select, make sure AUTOCS is enabled in the USARTn_CTRL register, CSPEN is enabled in USARTn_ROUTE, and the appropriate GPIO is set to push pull mode.  If you disable autocs, you can control the chip select as a GPIO.

Regards,

Joe

Also note that AUTOCS toggles on a per byte basis. If you need to transfer a string of data (and you are not using DMA), AUTOCS will not keep CS asserted for you unless you happen to be in a very tight loop that keeps the USART TX FIFO fed.

John

Hi Vanmierio

Thanks for your reply. In the Configurator, it automatically selects CS as part of SPI and I tried deselecting CS for USART1 but the Configurator gave an error - "USART1_CS pin is in use and must be enabled" - but diregarding that message I actually deleted that error. And compiled, and it worked as expected - with CS line controlled as GPIO as per the following code:

MaxCSLow();
USART_SpiTransfer(USART1, dataByte);
MaxCSHigh();

Now I see another issue - seems the CS stays low much longer - before and after transmitting the data/clock time. 

So I would try to use the AUTOCS option

Thanks 

Silas

Hi Joe, 

Thanks for the help! 

I tried AUTOCS and it works perfectly fine! Not need to use the manual control of CS line; 

Silas

Hi @SilasValera,

I tried AUTOCS and it works perfectly fine! Not need to use the manual control of CS line; 

Just remember, AUTOCS will assert and de-assert CS for each byte you send. If this is not desirable behavior, you will need to control CS as a GPIO.

Regarding the slow GPIO toggling you are seeing, I suspect you are compiling your code using the Debug configuration. This imposes certain overhead that cuts GPIO toggling time by close to an order of magnitude.

See this Knowledge Base article for details.

John

Hi John, 

That is really awesome!  Thank you so much for the explanation and the link for the article Robot Happy

I tested with the Release config using GNU ARM 4.9.3 and the code with manual handling of CS works just as expected.  The manual CS option is more preferred when there is longer data string exchange between MCU and SPI. 

Thank you all once again! 

best regards

Silas