Does EFM32 support Segger's RTT?

Segger has a technology called J-Link RTT which they claim is supported by all J-Link models and is faster than SWO output. Does the EFM32 support this technology?

I use an EFM32 Zero Gecko starter kit, which has an embedded J-Link, so would it be possible to use it with RTT? Does RTT work with external targets?

Re: Does EFM32 support Segger's RTT?

Hi @Timur,

RTT should work nicely on all our devices. It works by opening a debugger connection between the J-Link library on your computer and the target device. The J-Link library then writes data to and reads data from the target RAM.

J-Link PRO debuggers increase the performance of the connection by doing the RAM access in the debugger itself, and then passing the data on to the computer. This feature is not supported by the on-board J-Link on the EFM32 STKs.

I haven't tested it myself, but I see no reason why RTT shouldn't work with "debug out", since it's just a debug connection.

Regards,

Aksel

@asmellby Thank you Aksel for your quick and precise reply.

I now tried it. I use a Zero Gecko Starter Kit in Debug Out mode with an EFM32HG310F64 Happy Gecko and I use Simplicity Studio v4. I've got some trouble:

• I couldn't figure out how to show the RTT output in Simplicity Studio
  • JLinkRTTClient works, but it can only see the RTT output if I connect to the Starter Kit using JLinkExe.
  • JLinkRTTClient can connect to the "siagentarm" process when I'm debugging with Simplicity Studio, but unfortunately it doesn't show any RTT output.

I use the following code on the Happy Gecko:

int main(void) {
  CHIP_Init();

SEGGER_RTT_Init();
  SEGGER_RTT_ConfigUpBuffer(0, NULL, NULL, 0, SEGGER_RTT_MODE_BLOCK_IF_FIFO_FULL);
  SEGGER_RTT_WriteString(0, "Hello world!\n");
while (1) { } }

Would it be possible to show RTT output in Simplicity Studio? Or at least have JLinkRTTClient work with it when I'm debugging with Simplicity Studio? That would be marvellous!

RTT uses a debug connection to read/write its memory location. This will prevent you from debugging the chip elsewhere (e.g. in Simplicity Studio) as there is only one debug connection possible AFAIK.

If you really need a terminal connection while debugging consider using either USB or UART connection to the PC.

@Turbo_J The trouble is that Simplicity Studio does not show the RTT output, and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or this is maybe just a missing feature.
Highlighted
<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Genius</font></font> </a> tj

I had similar problem, but I solved it.

RTT works in simplicity Studio with Eclipse plugin ‘TCF Terminal (Console) View‘

Thank you @tj I'll definitely try that! How can I install that Eclipse plugin into Simplicity Studio?

<a href="http://community.silabs.com/t5/Welcome-and-Announcements/Community-Ranking-System-and-Recognition-Program/m-p/140490#U140490"><font color="#000000"><font size="2">Genius</font></font> </a> tj

You have to install EPP Marketplace Client

Help -> Update Software 

Package Manager ->Tools tab -> button to install the EPP Marketplace Client

Help -> Eclipse Marketplace

and next instructions is here:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2015/07/07/using-segger-real-time-terminal-rtt-with-eclipse/